This is a review of the best kayak fishing net.
I am Wesley a kayak fishing enthusiast. Today, I am working with Angle, an ex-professional kayaking athlete and kayaking instructor to help you find the very best kayak fishing net in the current market.
A high-quality fishing net is a must-have accessory for my kayak fishing trips. Over the years, I have tried many different nets, today, I will share with you how to pick a great one.
I would consider that YakAttack Landing Net as the best overall fishing net, it’s durable, easy to store, capable to catch large fish, and you can control it with only one hand!
There is no doubt that there are many great options in the current market and they suit different needs. In this article, I will talk about them one by one so you can pick the one that suits your needs the most.
Keep reading and let’s catch some large fish together!
Table of Contents
- YakAttack Landing Net (Best overall)
- Frabill Trophy Haul Bearclaw (Best midrange)
- ForEverlast Generation 2 Floating Net (Best for beginners)
Top 3 Kayak Fishing Nets
The following fishing nets are the best overall net, midrange fishing net, and kayak fishing net for beginners.
- Best: Overall kayak fishing net
- Key Features: Foldable, 46” long, 20”x21” wide, forearm grip, rubberized net
- Key Benefits: Durable, stores easy, reach out to land fish, ability to land larger fish, designed for one-hand use, snag-resistant
- Material: Aluminum, foam, rubber mesh
- Pros: Trusted kayak accessory brand, designed for kayak anglers, well built, will float for a little while
The YakAttack landing net is the best overall kayak fishing net because it is durable, easily stores, increases your fish landing ability, and is snag-resistant.
The YakAttack net is built out of quality materials, so you don’t have to worry about a malfunction while on the water.
This net was designed specifically for kayak anglers, so all the features are intended to help you out while in your kayak.
Because this net is the best of the best, it comes at a high price. However, it is well worth the investment if you are a serious kayak angler.
- Best: Midrange kayak fishing net
- Key Features: foldable, one-handed design, rubberized net, 14”x18” wide, 18” handle, built-in light.
- Key Benefits: stores quickly, increases your ability to land fish, snag-resistant keeps fish safe, and lures untangled
- Material: Aluminum, rubberized mesh
- Pros: Trusted fishing brand, designed for kayak anglers, easily stores, snag-resistant, durable
The Frabill Trophy Haul Bearclaw is the best midrange kayak fishing net because it is durable, stores easily, is snag-resistant, and helps you land more fish at a midrange price.
However, the net is smaller than the others that made the list. The net lacking the ability to land larger fish is the biggest downfall.
The Frabill Trophy Haul Bearclaw is constructed out of quality materials and was designed with kayak anglers in mind. The forearm support of the one-handed operation means you have the leverage you need to pull in any fish that fits in the net.
- Best: Beginners kayak fishing net
- Key Features: One-handed design, rubberized net, wide net opening, deep net, compact, floats if dropped, connects to your kayak with a clip and elastic cord.
- Key Benefits: stores easily, increases your ability to land fish, snag-resistant keeps fish safe, and lures untangled
- Material: Rubberized mesh, foam
- Pros: Floats, stores easily, designed for kayak anglers, snag-resistant, large opening, low cost
The ForEverlast floating net is excellent for beginner kayak anglers because it is low-cost, durable, snag-resistant, stores easily, and is designed for kayak anglers.
This nets’ biggest flaw is the short handle. While a short handle helps with storage, it hurts when trying to land a fish. This is the only net without a foldable handle.
The ForEverlast Generation 2 floating net is made from durable materials and can land big fish with the large opening of the net.
Since the net floats, you don’t have to worry about knocking it overboard and losing it.
Best Kayak Fishing Net – What to Consider?
The best kayak fishing net has four qualities that make it stand out from the other fishing nets: durability, ease of storage, fish landing ability, and snag prevention.
Durability is essential because you don’t want to waste your money on a product that will break after a few uses when you need it most!
Ease of Storage
You don’t have much room on a kayak, so your gear must be compact but quickly accessible. Quick folding and unfolding nets are what most kayak anglers prefer.
Fish Landing Ability
If your net doesn’t help you land more fish, there is no point in hauling it around in your kayak! Buy a net that gives you every advantage you can afford.
For the safety of the fish and to avoid the frustration of getting a hook tangled, purchase a net with a rubberized coating.
Here are some commonly asked questions relating to the best kayak fishing net.
Do I Need a Net for Kayak Fishing?
Yes, have a net will make it a lot easier for you to land fish on your kayak. It is even better if you get a net that can be easily controlled with only one hand.
Fishing on a kayak is less stable than fishing on a boat so it’s a good idea to use a net for landing the fish because it shortens the time needed and saves you a lot of effort.
How Do You Keep Fish Alive in a Kayak?
One of the best ways to keep fish alive in a kayak is, get a diver goodie bag (also called mesh bag), hang them next to your kayak, the place the fish inside. For sure, remember to close it tightly.
Sometimes, I will bring a foldable bucket with me, but my fish inside, together with some lake or seawater. And keep changing the water every 1 hour would be good enough to keep them alive.
Tips and Useful Information
- Make sure to bring a at least SPF 50+ Sunblock with you for your kayak fishing trips.
- Try to wear a pair of gloves, other than paddleing, they will help a lot when you try to land the fish. Specially when you try to pull the fish towards you.
- Get a life jacket (personal flotation device, PFD)with many pockets and always wear them whenever you are on the water!
Of all the kayak fishing nets, the YakAttack Landing Net is my choice for the best option. It is a solidly built net loaded with many features great for kayak fishing.
We have provided the most high-quality kayak fishing nets, simply pick the one that suits your need the most and you will find it way much easier to catch some big fish during your next kayaking journey!